Annual Heritage Awards
Each year the Peterborough Historical Society recognizes the contributions and efforts made by community members in exploring, celebrating and preserving the rich cultural and architectural history of the Peterborough area.
Recipients must be residents of the City of Peterborough or Peterborough County. Nominations will be considered for accomplishments or projects completed in the past three years.
There are six award categories:
- Samuel Armour Award for the development and/or delivery of programs, activities or curriculum-based local history material that engages young people in exploring the diverse history of the region.
- J. Hampden Burnham Award for completion of a major project that promotes public awareness of local history, using any media such as the visual and peforming arts, web design, print and audio materials.
- George Cox Award for the preservation, conservation and/or restoration of significant cultural resources such as artifacts, manuscripts, historic gardens or cultural landscapes.
- F.H. Dobbin Award for publication of a major work, either fiction or non-fiction, that focuses on Peterborough’s past.
- Martha Ann Kidd Award recognizes the preservation or restoration of heritage buildings or new construction that is respectful of its historic surroundings. This includes commercial, residential and institutional buildings in the City of Peterborough and Peterborough County.
- Charlotte Nicholls Award recognizes a substantial donation either financial or in-kind services towards the commemoration of a historic structure, artifact or cultural landscape.
If you are interested in nominating someone for the Heritage Award, you can download and fill out an Awards Nomination Form or pick up a printed form at the PHS Office at 270 Brock Street..
Note: If you are unable to view the PDF document above, it is likely that you don't have Adobe Reader. You can download Adobe Reader for free by following this link:
For more information about PHS Awards or the nomination process, please contact us.
Student History Awards
PHS presents an award to the graduating student who achieves the highest mark in history at each Secondary School in Peterborough. The awards are presented at the school's graduating ceremony. Please click below to see a list of award winners.